Hey champ. Let’s chat. Sooooooooooo, you want to be an online BOSS, huh?!
Well good for you. There’s nothing better than taking your passion and turning it into your profitable professional. But before you ditch that job we need to have a heart to heart. I know for a fact that most online entrepreneurs start a blog or create a course because they want the ability to generate income from the comfort of “wherever-it-is-they-want-to-be” and turn what was once a hobby into a part-time or even full-time business. I’m right here with ya!
So if building an online empire and stacking your coin as a digital business owner is what you really, really want, then you are going to flip your wig with these 5 tips (and free action sheet at the end!), which are full of actionable advice you can start doing right now to get your business in the game.
You ready? Let’s do this.
CHANNEL YOUR SUPER HERO STRENGTHS
Everyone has a little bit of super hero in them. There is something special about you, something that you already have that you can use to help others and make an impact in your own unique way.
This uniqueness is what you need to hone in on when building your business. Believe me, you’re going to need it if you want to stand out in this crowded online space. The biggest mistake I see aspiring entrepreneurs make is that they don’t focus enough on what makes them different.
It’s okay to stand alone. That way you’re guaranteed to never get lost in the crowd. Think about the things you do super duper well:
- Are you colorful and charismatic?
- Can you close a deal like a pro?
- Is social media your thang? (yes I said thang!)
- Does your unique style set you apart?
- Are you an explosive speaker?
- Can you put a meal together like an All-Star Chef!
Whatever it is that makes you, YOU, focus on it and use it to your advantage.
I see too many entrepreneurs hop online trying to do just any and everything. When you play it safe or don’t have a solid focus, you run the risk of being just like every other blog on the ‘net. Your success is going to come from doing what you do best whatever that is and showing others how to do it too.
If people can’t see you as their “go-to” for whatever problem they are having, then they are not very likely to buy from you. My niche is providing entrepreneurs and champion course creators the strategies they need to create, brand and sell online.
Now it took me a long time to figure out my niche so don’t feel bad if you don’t know yours yet. I got something that can help you out with that!
But my point is, that if tomorrow I launched a course about gardening when I’ve been preaching how to build a successful business and brand aIl along, then #1 it would be kind of weird. Secondly, I’d probably sell all of ZERO courses, because I have ZERO credibility or authority in the gardening niche.
So ask yourself, what are my strengths and am I operating in those strengths? When you speak, or train or write content, is it easy for people to know “what you do!” If they get it. If they can pinpoint what you’re good at, then you’re on the right path to building a business that can be passion-driven and profitable. If they can’t you should lock yourself in the closet and not come out until you know what makes YOU unique.
If you’re struggling to find your focus, then I highly recommend starting here.
SET SPECIFIC GOALS:
Running a business is not easy. In fact, it’s easier to stay an employee. So if you are planning on building a wildly successful business you have to know how to set and hit some BIG, BIG goals.
Setting focused goals will be a huge part of your overall freedom plan.
Hoping, wishing, and praying success into existence doesn’t work. Believe me, I’ve tried it all. To turn those dreams into reality you have to start making detailed plans. You can set goal on just about anything, from how many Instagram followers you want to how many sales you want to make, but I suggest you focus on the BIG goals first, so you know what you want out of your business and in your life. Then you can begin breaking those BIG, BIG goals down into bite-sized actionable goals that will help you achieve the bigger goals.
So I always start my year knowing exactly what my Financial (making + giving), Spiritual, Mental, Business, Health and Freedom goals are. I use the same Freedom Plan formula every single year and it’s what I encourage my students to do as well.
If you want to make $8,000 a month selling online courses within 9 months of launching your business, then what steps do you have to take to earn that type of income. Because I love you and really want you to succeed with this, I created a training to help you map out your goals, which you can get here.
BRAND YOU FIRST:
One of the major mistakes I was guilty of the first few years of building my business was not focusing on my brand. I started off online as a network marketer who transitioned into affiliate marketing before creating my own infoproducts – so most of what I sold had another company’s brand on it.
Focus on building your brand, not just a business. Anyone can start a biz, write a blog or share stuff on social media. But if you have the desire to make real money then you must focus on building a strong brand. Your brand is the soul of your business. It’s how readers are able to identify you and connect with you on a more personal level. It’s how you talk, your style, and the way you show up online. It’s how you color your blog and write commentary for your newsletter. Great branding is about being consistency and constancy. People will never get to know the real YOU if you change direction depending on the way the wind blows.
If you want to be the part you have to look the part – all the time! Here are some brand tips you can begin working on now to create consistency in your business.
- Get quality photos. No, I didn’t say spend a thousand bucks on photos (this ain’t no wedding!). If you have friends, a mom who loves you, or a patient hubby, find some nice spots around town with beautiful cityscapes and take some photos with that iPhone of yours. Make sure you smile, your hair is cute and your lips poppin’. You want 2-3 attractive headshots you can use on your blog and social media profiles.
- Invest in a professional-looking blog design. Now, I know what you;re thinking. I don’t have money to do all that. Hiring a high-end web designer may be out of the question (and that’s cool) but if you go the DIY route invest in a premium theme. There are tons of gorgeous and highly functional templates out there. I get all my premium themes, including the Salient theme I use for this blog from Themeforest.com. Also, Squarespace seems to me the next best thing for online entrepreneurs and bloggers. I’ve seen some really beautiful pro-looking blogs and you don’t need to be a techie to tackle their platform.
- Use branded images. People are attracted to pretty. Make sure you stand out online by putting together some eye-catching graphics. One of the best ways to drive traffic back to your site is to leverage sites such as Instagram and Pinterest. If you don’t have the time to create graphics for each platform, create ONE branded image you can use on your blog and across all other social networks. When I post to Instagram I will use the same image to post on FB, Google+, Linkedin and in my newsletters. You can also create templates using Keynote, Google drawings or Canva to cut down on design time.
To keep you focused on your visual brand style I recommend creating a Brand Book which maps out everything from your logo to your brand colors to the filters you use on your images and photography.
INVEST IN YOUR SUCCESS:
I know it may be tempting to take those first few dollars you make online and buy a cute pair of stilettos. Don’t do it. As a budding entrepreneur it’s important to invest both your time and money back into your business. This is how you accelerate your grow. Invest in resources, marketing methods and time management tools that will help you take your business up a notch. When you invest in yourself, you’re taking accountability for the success of your business and that is what BOSSES do. Yeah, I know it’s hard, but it will be worth it.
GROW YOUR EMAIL LIST LIKE A CHAMP!:
Your income is going to be directly tied to the number of people you are able to get in front of your products and services. Building an email list is a great way to turn window shoppers into customers. Your email list is probably going to be the most valuable asset you have as an online business owner. Your email list is the place where potential buyers get to know you, hear your personal stories and get actionable advice. If someone has taken the time to give up their name and email address it’s because you gave them a compelling enough reason to do so.
- They are intrigued.
- They want something from you.
- They are open to learning more.
Your email list is full of people who are most likely to buy from you. So you have to treat them good. Talk to them on a regular basis. Let them know you care. Give them gifts like invitations to free trainings, freebies, and access to your best content.
Need help growing your email list? Start with these 3 steps:
- Create a beautifully crafted, branded lead magnet that helps your perfect fit fan solve a problem they’re having. A lead magnet is a freebie or deeply discounted offering that you give away in exchange for someone’s email address. It can be a one-page PDF checklist or a 50 page ebook – but whatever it is – it has to be useful. Make sure your lead magnet is in alignment with the products and/or services your provide and that it’s something that will attract your ideal clients and customers.
- Recognize the power of the content-upgrade. A content upgrade is surprise inside the cracker jack box. It’s the freebie everybody wants but can’t have until you dig deeper into the box. Well when people read your content you want to add you own little surprises (aka content upgrades) in your posts. Similar to a lead magnet, a content upgrade is a freebie embedded within your blog posts and typically relates to the post itself. A content upgrade can be a cheat sheet, action guide, ebook, printable, video, membership, or anything else that your audience can download. I began offering content upgrades a few years ago and my email list exploded! Like literally blew up. The free toolkit I’m offering at the end of this post is an example of a content upgrade.Yay!
- Invite people to join your email list via social media. Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook, Paid Ads, Free Ads, Sponsored Ads, Periscope – I mean the options are endless. If you’re hanging out online you might as well be inviting people to kick it, right? Add calls to action within your social media profiles and after posting value based content add a link letting people know where they can get your freebie or content upgrade, which will encourage them to sign up.
So here we are, at the end of the post and I just want to stop and give you a virtual high five. You must be serious about building your biz! Well, if you’re ready to take the next step, I’ve created a free printable from “From Dreamer To BOSS” gamelan, which you can get right here.